Sunday, May 04, 2008

Pity Party

Well I try not to be much of a whiner, but this is one of those rare times when I just need people to agree that this sucks. In addition to the normal trials and tribulations associated with taking care of a newborn I now have a cold. My fever is 102 I have a hacking cough, which only serves to accentuate the post partum pains in my abdomen, and a horribly sore throat.

Kiah sleeps blissfully for 3 hours at a time during the day, but wakes up every hour to eat at night. So I'm stumbling through the day in a zombie like trance. To top it off Nick goes back to work tomorrow, and my mom is still out of town. Luckily Keron will be here wed to help out, and my mom also gets back in town, so for now that is my focus and goal, I just have to make it 2 days.

Moira's doing pretty well with the addition of Kiah, but we've had a lot of acting out. How much of that is developmental 2 year old stuff and how much of it is in reaction to Kiah is hard to say. She's discovered the word MINE, and frequently expresses her ownership of all manner of things. Blankets and the boppy pillow have become highly contested items, and we're subject to a fair amount of whining over the most mundane aspects of our daily routine.

Last but not least Kess has injured her back. She's swollen right on her spine over her hips. Of course I would happily rush her to the vet for x-rays, but Nick has pointed out that we have no money. So we've agreed to wait a week to see if it improves. So in the meantime it's ice and aspirin for poor Kess.

Hopefully today I can get some one on one time with Moira, and a nap in and things will look a little brighter.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Oh girl, it is so hard to make it through that adjustment period with a toddler. It's nice to look back on the adjustment period with the first child and remember how much easier it seems. One suggestion I have, that maybe you've already thought of or heard, you can try waking Kiah every hour or hour and a half during the day to feed her and keep her stimulated so that she's maybe more tired during the night. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. And then, also, hopefully there are friends and/or family that can come and help out so that you can get a good nap during the day.

And I definitely agree with the one-on-one time with Moira. She needs it!

Good luck to you, Mama! Wish I was closer to help out more.

Addie said...

Well here I was feeling pretty sorry for myself (nauseated again, or is it still?) when I clicked onto your blog and realized I have NOTHING to whine about. Sorry to hear you are sick, that's awful on top of everything else. I guess all I can say is good luck, hang in there, it'll get better...